Friday, May 8, 2009

May 1, 2009 Early Vote Email Part I

The following email was sent to area residents and civic minded individuals active in District H.

May 1, 2009

Dear Friend,

As you know I am a candidate for District H (see attached District H map). Since 2000 I live in the Woodland Heights in a house built in 1920 that is close to White Oak Bayou. I not only see my house appraisal value and tax increase every year but also the potential for flooding.

Our education system is terrible with over 50% failure rate and it needs fixing. Our failure in education fuels crime rates which in the past year have increase to levels I have never seen in the neighborhoods.

These and others are areas that are of concern and need fixing but the main reason why I am running for city council is because when proposing the tunneling of I45 (www.i45parkway.com which is similar to a project in Spain www.mc30.es) I learned that our hurricane preparedness plan is designed to fail. But it can be improved by:

1. Building the i45 tunnel, which will improve hurricane evacuation and provide emergency shelter (also fuel the local economy).
2. Build dual-purpose schools that are designed for education as well as for emergency shelter.
3. Rate homes and structures for hurricane categories so we don’t have to guess whether our homes will survive hurricane winds else can find shelter elsewhere.

Since 2004 many of you have seen me working as a volunteer advocating the construction of the i45 tunnel. TxDOT told us that TxDOT could build the i45 tunnel if city council supports it but so far city council has not. You have one last opportunity to make this project a reality, vote for me so I can continue pushing for this project. Please read my latest email to TxDOT and Harris County (attached).

I have been a volunteer with civic organizations in District H since 1995 so I know the District. Although we are having elections this May 9th that is for a six-month period of time since re-elections will be held again in November. If elected this May, the following items are the minimum tasks I plan to accomplish by November of 2009:

1. Establish super neighborhoods as the foundation to representing and governing District H.
2. Implement a referendum for November 09 elections calling to freeze property values for historically registered homes and structures.
3. Implement a park/green-area neighborhood program to mitigate flooding.
4. Implement crime prevention though environmental design, neighborhood surveillance using cameras, and get police to patrol neighborhoods vs. highways.
5. Use my civil engineering skills to address concerns regarding the CIP, lack of funding and establish priorities for infrastructure needs.

With your help these five items can be accomplished by November 2009 but first you have to help me get out the vote by contacting others and vote for CAMACHO for District H.

Only about 4000 people will vote so you can have a significant impact in this election.

Thank you for your support.

g. camacho
www.votecamachotunnel.com
www.votecamachotunnel.blogspot.com (new)
"For things to change we have to change, for things to get better we have to get better."

No comments:

Post a Comment